Friday, September 12, 2008

Bouncer, bouncer, where for art thou, dear bouncer?

I have a friend called Alex. At this moment, Alex is sitting behind me, on my bed, nobly reading a draft of an essay for me. He is a great friend. Alex also has a theory. It is a good theory, and one that may explain away certain behaviors that have been rampant of late. His theory states that each individual mind is home to a bouncer. The job of this bouncer is to control the flow of traffic between an individuals mouth and an individuals mind. This bouncer, then, is a kind of filter, acting to prevent such social miss-haps as spilling random personal facts about ones self to ones teacher, and so on. Alex further argues that the reason riff-raff such as this are permitted, by said bouncer, to pass from mind to mouth on the odd (or not so odd) occasion, is due to unexpected or undesirable behavior on the part of the bouncer. These behaviors include, but are not limited to: sleeping on the job, being drunk, stoned or otherwise inhibited, being lazy, or being arseholes (as many bouncers have been shown to be). Today, I think my bouncer was vacationing. Fortunately, I met with Alex, who explained this theory to me, thereby relieving me of fault in my actions today.

And now I am off to the Voiceworks launch (with Alex).

No comments: